Participants group together holding an OpenWater sign in appreciation for the event
Ximena Amaro
Categories:

The 9/11 Honor Challenge

The 9/11 Honor Challenge, held on Sep. 8 at Huntington Beach High School’s (HBHS) Cap Sheue Field, was a race organized to raise money for mental health support for veterans and first responders. The event included running along several featured challenges including symbolic tributes and moments of reflection to honor those who serve our community.

Young boy holding the American flag as tribute to those who passed. (Ximena Amaro)

“The challenge was created by OpenWater co-founders Kyle Kelly and Danny Nichols five years ago to honor the lives lost during the tragic events that took place on Sep. 11, 2001. As an organization serving first responders and military personnel, OpenWater events are purpose-driven and centered around the community we serve,said Whitney Erickson, the event organizer.

Sep. 11 marks a day of immense tragedy and loss, as coordinated terrorist attacks struck the World Trade Center and the Pentagon in 2001 claiming nearly 3,000 lives. The attack left the world in shock and still impacts the U.S. to this day. Sept. 11 is remembered for its profound sorrow and the enduring strength that emerged in the attack’s aftermath.

While taking place across the country, the tragedy that unfolded on Sept. 11 still influences the Huntington Beach community today prompting students and teachers alike to work, or in this case, run for positive change.

The volunteers from OpenWater and GIVE, HBHS’ community-based leadership team, have worked throughout Orange County to support all participants from the setup, working the booths, reaching out and gaining more participants, along with cheering everyone on throughout the duration of the challenge. 

“I enjoy volunteering and helping my community and others. I hope by doing this I can help honor the lives of all those who passed away in this tragedy,” said Kara Henriod, a junior at HBHS.

From volunteers to participants, everyone enjoyed coming together to help an amazing cause.

Volunteers cheering for those who are participating in the challenge. (Photography by: Ximena Amaro) (Ximena Amaro)

Maddie Trace, a junior in GIVE at HBHS said, “I think it’s cool to see how many people come together at this event and honor those who served our country.”

Families, first responders, and citizens in Huntington Beach united to honor the fallen and strengthen their community after 9/11.

Karissa Faith, HBHS junior, said, “My dad did police and military work, so I grew up learning how to be sentimental towards the lost fire and policemen who risked their lives to save people. It was amazing today to see different groups participate and remember those people along with citizens.”

The 9/11 Honor Challenge not only raised funds for veterans’ mental health support and those alike, but also served as a powerful reminder of the resilience and unity that emerged from one of the darkest days in American history.
Donate to Slick Magazine

Your donation will support the student journalists of Huntington Beach High School. Your contribution will allow us to cover our annual website hosting costs.
Thank you for supporting our program!