Categories:

Hope and Healing: Blooms for Better Backs CHOC

B4B's board has an inseparable bond created from all wanting to do good for the community. (Nolan Evers)
B4B’s board has an inseparable bond created from all wanting to do good for the community. (Nolan Evers)

Blooms for Better (B4B), is a high school club founded by two Huntington Beach High School (HBHS) juniors. Kara Henroid and Bella Kovac created the club with the unique mission of blending creativity and compassion. B4B creates hand-crafted flower arrangements and sells them throughout the community, with all accrued profits donated directly to the Children’s Hospital of Orange County (CHOC).

Henroid said, “My best friend Bella and I love flowers and making bouquets, which inspired us to surround our club with flowers to support an important foundation: CHOC.”

B4B members volunteering at the 9/11 Honor Challenge. (Mia Kirouac)

Since the start of the club, B4B has grown in size and impact. What started from a small high school club has grown into a small organization adored by the community. CHOC massively benefits from the donations and the Huntington Beach area plays a large part in CHOC’s foundation through donations, support, and love.

CHOC’s community ties run deep

Daniel Davis, a Licensed Vocational Nurse at CHOC says “[I] have to throw some love towards Disney for throwing a Minnie CHOC walk which is for the kids in the hospital, allowing them to walk around and receive little goodies.”

Throughout the community, big or small, everyone contributes to help the kids at CHOC feel special and be able to have small amounts of fun while receiving treatment. This is possible through donations of time, effort, and funds from the community.

Blooms for Better’s mission doesn’t end with donations

HBHS senior board member Jocelyn Thomas said, “This club has impacted me personally because I love being a part of something I feel will make a difference.”

During Club Rush on Oct. 3, owners Bella and Kara showcased their club in hopes of growing their team. Students interested in joining were able to stop by their booth to learn more about their mission, upcoming events, and how they can get involved in this blossoming community effort.

Kara said, “I love spending time helping the community, providing for others, volunteering, and spreading love and kindness which is all incorporated into our club.”

Blooming with Purpose: B4B’s Community Impact

Club founders Bella Kovac and Kara Henroid. (Jocelyn Thomas)

Whether they’re at HBHS or helping with community-run events, you can find B4B’s vibrant presence. Their charming flower bouquets are becoming a staple at local gatherings, with every flower not only being beautiful, but representing hope for the children at CHOC.

“CHOC, being a nonprofit hospital, relies heavily on community donations and support…These donations allow for such incredible innovation cause it just means better care for our patients” Daniel said.

As Blooms for Better continues to grow, its founders, board members and club members are dedicated to the cause. Their mission: bringing the community together one bouquet at a time to support the incredible children at CHOC.

If you’re interested in getting in contact or learning more about them, you can check out the Blooms for Better Instagram page: @Bloomsforbetter

Donate to Slick Magazine

Your donation will support the student journalists of Huntington Beach High School. Your contribution will allow us to cover our annual website hosting costs.
Thank you for supporting our program!