Next Steps Ceremony 2023

Gina Cisternelli

Collage of students from HBHS at the Next Steps Ceremony. (Photography by: Gina Cisternelli)

On Thursday, May 18th, Huntington Beach High School (HBHS) hosted the Next Steps Ceremony dedicated to celebrating senior plans after high school. Decorated with balloon arches, college flags, posters, and the Oiler Derrick, our stadium was decked out for the special event.

Supportive friends and family all celebrated the class of 2023 and their accomplishments. The ceremony began with seniors entering the field through a balloon arch with a walkway of cheerleaders and ASB members cheering them on. The graduating students then stood by the cone and sign that coordinated with their next step; whether it be a four-year university, community college, a mission trip, gap year, or the armed forces, there was a space for everyone. 

HBHS senior Tori Haberl said, “I loved seeing all my classmate’s plans for next year. It was a bittersweet moment.”

Haberl will be attending Oklahoma State University and majoring in sports media next year. “I am very excited to experience a new way of life in a small college town. I am very excited to work towards my career and experience this new college life,” Habrel said. 

Senior Sophia Montanez celebrated her high school endeavors and said, “Getting to see all my friends standing by their next steps cones made me so happy.”

Montanez will be attending Cal State San Marcos in the fall. “I can’t wait to gain more independence in a few months, and I’m excited to make new friends,” Montanez said.

The ceremony was a great chance for the seniors to bond and talk about their future plans together. The ceremony was one for the books and an annual tradition for the years to come. The graduation ceremony is scheduled for June 13th, and the Next Steps Ceremony was the perfect way to begin celebrating the last few weeks of high school.

We can’t wait to see what all of you accomplish, Oiler class of 2023. This is only the beginning!